Thursday, May 2, 2013

Even a little improvement is progress

Today was my second attempt at running for an hour on the elliptical. As I tend to do, I had worked it up in my head that I was going to demolish my time from Tuesday. Well, as you can probably guess from the title of today's post, it didn't quite turn out like that. On Tuesday I was keeping my mile between 13:30 and 14:00. Today my mile was consistently at 13:30, not quite a demolishment but still improvement. My first reaction was disappointment, but I quickly decided to let that go. This is only my second time attempting this, so I should be happy with any improvement at all. I have decided that the next thing that I am going to tackle mentally in this journey is setting my expectations too high. When you set unrealistic expectations, you are only setting yourself up for failure. I don't know about you, but especially when it comes to weight loss, if I feel like I am failing I tend to give up. I lost 10 lbs in my first month, and it would be amazing if I lost another 10 lbs in the second month. However, if I don't have the same results or better every single month, it doesn't mean that I failed. It might just mean that I need to change up my workouts. You have to choose a goal that is a happy medium between challenging yourself and something that is unobtainable. After all, life is all about happy mediums, right?

 I have included a picture of the elliptical screen just before I finished. It is a little fuzzy because I was still running. It shows my time at 59:54, distance at 4.51 miles, incline at 10, resistance at 5, and calories burned at 652. It still amazes me that my body is capable of this. See what your body can do too!

Thanks for reading,
Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment