Thursday, June 6, 2013

What clicked this time?

I have been asked twice in the past two days, what clicked to make me lose this weight once and for all. The answer is, lots of things. I got so tired of being the fat friend, having to shop in the plus size section, feeling disgusted with myself, and feeling sick and tired all of the time. I had tried to lose weight so many times before, but I always ended up wanting food more. Pretty sad huh? I had to want to lose weight and get healthy more than anything. I had to hit rock bottom, and I can tell you the exact moment that rock bottom happened. Last June I went for my yearly gynecological exam. I mentioned to my doctor that I was going well over 28 days between cycles. Sometimes I would even skip a month all together. I wasn't on birth control so I wasn't too concerned, but I thought it was worth mentioning. Well, after a series of tests they informed me that I did not ovulate the month that they tested me. This hit me like a ton of bricks, because I have always wanted more than anything in the world, to become a mother. I didn't want to have a baby right away, but just knowing that I couldn't made me feel like less of a woman. The doctor told me that she was fairly confident that the problem with ovulation was due to my obesity. That was two blows in one. This was the first time that I had been told that I was obese, and I was finding out that my ovulation problem was my own fault. She told me that she thought because I was still having a somewhat regular cycle that she thought that I might still be ovulating, but at random times. This wouldn't mean that it would be impossible to get pregnant, but that it would be difficult since I couldn't pinpoint an ovulation time. She told me that the absolute best option that I had was to get the weight off. So you would think that I would have ran out the door at that very moment and start getting the weight off right away. Well that is what I should have done, but instead I got really depressed and I turned to food. I kept telling myself that I was going to get this weight off no matter what, but it took me until March 22 to get serious about it. Now I don't know if it is just in my head, but I feel like my cycles are getting more and more regular. I am confident that I will be ovulating regularly, and that when we are ready for children that we will be able to have our own. If we face complications, then we will deal with them at that time, but at least I can be confident that I did everything in my power to make it happen. I have my yearly visit next Friday, and while they will not be testing my ovulation this time I am excited for her to see that I have taken huge strides in the right direction. So, that was a long way of saying that what clicked for me this time is that I am not just doing this for me anymore. I am doing it for me, my husband, and our future children, and it will be so worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment