Thursday, April 18, 2013

Resist The Temptation!!

Every one who has ever dieted can tell you that when you are trying to eat healthy there is always that one food that is just so hard to resist. I have been lucky because up until this week, I hadn't really experienced much temptation. I am not a big bread person, and I never have been. So I was surprised when I was so tempted this week by garlic bread (twice!). The first time that it hit me was Wednesday night. My husband had the night off so we went to Chili's and to do some shopping. I was good and ordered a 6oz sirloin and a side of corn on the cob. I was well within my calories, so it was nice to break the chicken cycle for a night. I was really proud of myself for doing well at a restaurant, and then they brought out our food. On my plate was my steak, my corn on the cob, and a piece of the garlic bread. Who serves garlic bread with steak anyway? I ignored the bread for a while, but I kept finding myself looking at it. I was even telling myself, if I eat half of it I will still be under my calories. Being under my calories was not important at the moment, what was important was not giving in at a moment of weakness. I told my husband that the garlic bread was really tempting me so being the nice loving man that he is, he took the garlic bread off my plate and proceeded to lick all over it. He looked at me and said, "Do you still want it?" I laughed and replied, "sadly, yes!" He then took a napkin and wrapped the bread up and placed it out of my sight. I did it! I beat my first real craving! The second time was tonight while we were eating supper. We were having lasagna, and I was having a small portion. Right before we were ready to eat Brandon said that he was going to make some garlic bread and asked me if I wanted any. At first I told him yes, because again I was well within my calories for the day. I thought about it and told myself once more, this is not about the calories. It's about the temptation. So I told Brandon to hold off on my bread. I could have eaten it and I would have been fine, but I would rather beat something that is really testing me.

Today's elliptical workout was almost identical to Tuesday's. I only shaved 7 seconds off my time, but that is still improvement. The next post that I do will be on Saturday and I will be weighing in for the first time in 3 weeks on that day. I am excited to weigh in, but I am also trying not to get my hopes up. I will be posting my beginning measurements versus my current measurements so that you can see if I have lost any inches. I will also post a current picture wearing the same outfit as my "before" picture even though I doubt you will be able to see too many changes yet. I want a record of how my body changes with each weigh in. I hope that you will come back on Saturday to check on my progress!

Thanks for reading,
Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sarah!
    I wish I could've checked-in on your blog sooner! But it's been soooo... busy. It looks like you know all about that though ;) I'm sorry to hear that your Appt last Thursday put up a wall in your fitness path. But I'm really glad to see that you're using it as a challenge and will climb over it and keep going. Coming from someone who both ran and swam competitively - Swimming's more fun anyway :)

    It's good to see that you're listening to your body and taking it easier but still working towards your goal. I think that if you focus on a completion goal the weights/measurements results will come easier and may even surprise you. But I think you've set a good timeline for checking in on your progress. Nothing wrong with stepping on a scale once in a while. Just keep in mind that it really does take time.

    You are way stronger than I am at resisting temptation... That is amazing and I give you huge kudos! Moments like those are sure signs that you'll be successful with your fitness goals :) I also wanted to commend you with how honest you have been with yourself during this fitness journey. I think you'll be more proud of yourself every day. :)

    Keep checking-in! It's great!

    p.s. you'd probably out-run me the next time I went back up there and visited ;) - But hey, maybe we can catch a swim next time! I'm always down for a swim workout.

    p.p.s. If you need a good starting swim workout plan, lmk!

    ReplyDelete