Sunday, September 8, 2013

No Weigh In Today

Sorry to disappoint, but there will be no weigh in today. It is once again that time of the month, and I am sure that if you are a woman you understand my reasoning. I do however still want to share a quick story with you. As you know, I am doing the couch to 5K program 3 days a week. I finished week 5 this week, and if you are familiar with the program than you might remember that there is quite a jump in distance in week 5. The interval for day 2 week 5 is to warm up with a 5 minute walk, run 8 minutes, walk 5 minutes, run 8 minutes and then cool down with a 5 minute walk. I did well on the first 8 minute segment, but towards the end of the second 8 minute segment I was very tired. I finished, but it was not easy for me. I looked on to the next day of couch to 5K and day 3 of week five was a 5 minute warm up walk, followed by 20 minutes of running with no walking at all. That was longer than both 8 minute segments that I had just ran put together. I immediately told myself that there was no way that I was ready for that. The next day that I ran, I decided to repeat day 2 of week five, and I got through it much easier. Still the thought of running 20 minutes straight was very daunting. I decided that I was going to try it, but I still had it in my mind that I wouldn't make it. I got up yesterday and ate breakfast, all the while with this run hanging over my head. While I was giving my breakfast time to digest, I decided to get on Pinterest. I started going through my fitness board and reading tons of motivational quotes. There were several that were talking about how your mind will limit you before your body will. I decided that no matter how much my body felt like I couldn't go on, that I wasn't going to let my mind get in the way. I got to the track as soon as the gym opened, so I ended up being the only person there. I am quite happy about that, because if anyone had been there they might have thought I was crazy. I started my warm up walk and I started telling myself (out loud) that my body was stronger than my mind would let me believe. I listened to a song that really pumped me up and by the time the voice spoke over my music telling me it was time to run, I was positive that I was going to be able to do it. 13 laps around my track is 2 miles, I knew I couldn't quite complete 2 miles in 20 minutes, but I decided to count down my laps from 13 anyway. Every time I got to my starting point, I would tap the rail and tell myself "12 left, 11 left!" and so on. I kept telling myself, "You can do anything for 20 minutes." I never let my mind tell that I was hurting, or that I couldn't make it. By constantly telling myself that I could do it, I never let my mind get in the way. Before I realized it, the voice spoke over my music telling me that my workout was over. I had completed 12 full laps, which means that I ran 1.84 miles at a pace of just under an 11 minute mile. Not once did I feel like I wouldn't be able to make it. Your mind can limit you, but it can also allow you to do great things. I was so happy as I was doing my cool down. I had just done something that seemed impossible to me, and I did it with ease. I know now that in 3 weeks when couch to 5K is over, that I will be running 3.1 miles with no trouble. I got a little emotional as I was doing that cool down lap, (I will blame that on being on my period) but I was proud of myself. Don't ever let your mind hold you back from doing something great. Your body is stronger than your mind would let you believe!

Thanks for reading,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment