Saturday, March 30, 2013

Patience Is A Virture

I have a confession to make. I am not the most patient person. I know that my weight is not just going to drop over night, but I still find myself expecting to see results in the first week. I was getting super excited about weighing in, so I got impatient and decided to weigh last night. I was so crushed when I saw 220, I had gained a pound. I started rationalizing to myself that I had just eaten and that I had drank lots of water that day. I was so anxious to prove the scale wrong that when I woke up this morning, I immediately went to the scale. The scale read 217.6, and my first thought was "Woo Hoo!" down 2 lbs! After a little while I started to feel depressed. I had become a slave to the scale again. This happens to me every time that I set out to lose weight. I end up weighing every single day and I beat myself up over every ounce. I tell myself that the weight should be coming off faster, and I eventually end up quitting. I am not going to let that happen this time. I have decided that I am only going to weigh once every 3 weeks. I have put the scale in the closet because I am not going to let this over take me. I will be weighing again on April 20, and not at all until April 20. I realize that this might make my blog a little less interesting, but the whole point of this blog is to aid in my weight loss by forcing me to be accountable. I have to do what is best for me.

I am excited to update you on today's interval, because I am so proud of myself. I use the app GymBoss to time my intervals. The app wasn't working today (I later found out that this was because you can't lock your phone while the app is running), so I had to improvise. I was afraid that I wouldn't run a full 30 seconds without a timer, so I ran half of each lap and walked half of each lap. I finished in 14 minutes and 30 seconds. The gym I run at has a huge timer on one of the walls, so for one lap I figured out how long it took me to run half the lap. I calculated the rest to figure out that my walking time was 9 minutes and 45 seconds, and that my running time was 4 minutes and 45 seconds. That means that I ran half of the mile! In addition to my 5 minute walking warm up, I stretched and that made a HUGE difference. My shins did not even hurt this time. I was having an inner battle with myself. Each time that I finished a running portion I would tell myself I am just going to walk the whole lap next time, but each time I made it to the half lap I made myself do it. I can tell that it is getting easier and easier for me every time. My interval for next week will be 1 minute of running and 1 minute and 30 seconds of walking. I feel confident that this will push me, but that I will be able to complete it. If you have any doubt that you can do something like this, trust me you can! I feel better than I have in a long time, and I have so much energy. Let's keep this up!

Thanks for reading,
Sarah

1 comment: