Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Blisters And All

Today's blog is actually going to start on Sunday. It was really pretty outside, so my husband Brandon suggested that we go for a walk. I had over indulged a bit at lunch so I jumped at the opportunity. We were enjoying the weather and the conversation, and before we knew it we were at a mile and a half. Realizing that we had to walk the same distance to get back to our vehicle, we decided to turn around and head back. Everything was going great until about mile two when my feet started to hurt. I pushed through and we made it to three miles! My body was so proud of my accomplishment that it decided to give me a reward. The reward however was a nickel sized blister on the ball of each foot. My running shoes are less than a month old, so I decided that my socks had to be the culprit. We decided to head to Dick's Sporting Goods to buy some good socks. Now, anyone who knows me can tell you that I am extremely cheap. The idea of spending $22.00 on six pairs of socks makes me want to cringe, but Brandon was my voice of reason. He explained to me that if I was going to be running 3 times a week, I would need good socks that wouldn't be leaving me with blisters. So I bit the bullet and purchased some Nike Dri-Fit Cushioned Socks. I have posted a picture of the socks, just in case you are interested. I will let you know what I think after running in them a few times.

Enough about blisters and socks though, let's get to the update on running day one. If you thought that a couple of blisters were going to make me skip this first run, you thought wrong. I successfully made it through my first interval! My total time for the mile was 15 minutes. (12 walking and 3 running) After my 5 minute warm-up when it was time to run for the first time, I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't too difficult to run for 30 seconds. Fast forward to the third time I had to run though, and it was a different story. At this point I was telling myself that I was not going to make it to a mile, but something happened the fourth time that I had to run. A woman was jogging beside me and I just had this competitive urge to pass her. All I was thinking for that 30 seconds was that I had to get past this woman, which I did! The point is, the pain was gone from my mind and all of my energy was focused on something else. I got a new burst of determination and finished with no problem. I was so proud of myself! As far as aches and pains go, I did experience some pain in my shins as well as my feet (due to the blisters.) Overall though I am very pleased with tonights interval. I look forward to updating you on Thursday's run!

Thanks for reading!
Sarah

3 comments:

  1. Hey! I got a mention! :)

    Keep it up, Rah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm at almost the same stage as you. I've just started running and trying to lose weight and I'm just starting a blog about it as well! Good luck! http://thebigthirtyproject.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I will definitely check your blog out. Always nice to talk to people that are experiencing the same things. Best of luck to you as well!

      Delete