Friday, March 22, 2013

This Time Is Different

If you have stumbled upon this blog, you are either really bored or you are like me and you are trying to lose weight. Whoever you are and whatever reason you are here, welcome! Let me just start out by saying that if I sat down and counted the number of times that I set out on a weight loss journey and told myself, "this time is different" it would probably add up to the number of pounds that I need to lose. However, at the risk of failing myself one more time, here it goes. I am going to lose weight, and this time is going to be different! Why am I so sure that this time is going to be different? This time I have you (that is, if anyone is actually reading this.) I am starting this blog to document my weight loss journey and to hopefully help a few people out in the process.

Now that you know why I am here, let's get to the plan. It is simple really, I am going to run! You might ask yourself how is a 220lb girl (yes, that is what I weigh) going to run? .....very slowly! I am going to interval train alternating between walking and running. Each week I am going to decrease the walking and increase the running until I reach my goal. I am going to be modifying my own plan based on my fitness level. My first week of interval training is going to consist of a 5 minute walking warm up, 30 seconds of running alternated with 2 minutes of walking until I reach one mile. That will be followed by a five minute walking cool down. That sounds low right? Well, so is my fitness level. I want my first week to push me, but I still want to be able to successfully complete the week. Each week, in addition to increasing my running I will be increasing my distance. My eventual goal is to be able to run a 5k in under 40 minutes, with no walking.

I am not going to put a time limit on my goal of reaching a 5k. If there is a week that I am struggling with, I will repeat it before I move on to the next one. I will be running 3 times a week, and I will be blogging 3 times a week as well. I will blog after each run, and tell you if it sucked or if it got easier (or if I fell on my butt.) On Saturdays, in addition to blogging about my run I will be posting my weight and measurements for the week. If my numbers went down you will know, and if my numbers went up you will know. I want you to get a real picture of what is going on every step of the way. I hope that you will follow me on this journey, and maybe start a journey of your own.

Thanks for reading!
Sarah

4 comments:

  1. I'm super proud of you Babe! I'll do everything I can to support you through this journey. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, this is wonderful! Big ups to you on choosing running. And don't even worry about it if you can't run for long amounts of time or distance at the start. I used to run 10k's on a regular basis and could barely make a minute straight after a year off... The key is to keep at it and you'll build up your endurance.

    Don't focus too much on measurements... Just because the numbers aren't changing doesn't mean change isn't happening. It takes a bit to get started and you'll hit plateaus along the way. All that matters is that you keep going and keep trying and yes, do things at your own pace.

    I'm rooting for ya! I'm sure you'll be successful!
    I look forward to following along on your journey and providing support where needed. If there is anything I can do from way over here, just let me know! I'm excited for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tania! I'm going to need all the support I can get.

      Delete