Thursday, March 28, 2013

On My Own

Today I want to discuss something that I feel most over weight people experience when working out.  Being uncomfortable working out with others (especially skinny people) is something that I have struggled with for a long time. Working out in a group can be uncomfortable for a person of any size. Insecurities plague us all, skinny and big alike. I do however feel like this is especially prevalent among heavier people. When you are a bigger person working out you have to worry about things such as: wearing multiple sports bras, your thighs rubbing together, things jiggling that shouldn't, getting winded quickly, not being able to keep up, and other embarrassing things. These issues over time have made me prefer working out on my own. When I workout by myself I don't have to worry if I jiggle. I don't have to worry about holding a friend back. This is an insecurity that I have to work on. My two best friends are athletic and workout together a couple of times a week. I miss out on a lot because I am always worried about holding them back. I am sure that they would not mind taking a workout at a slower pace for me, but it would embarrass me if they had to. I am going to start making myself exercise with them at least once a month so that I can get over this hurdle. As I get stronger and faster, I won't be as much of a burden. In October we did the Susan Komen Race for a Cure. They could have easily run the 5k, but they didn't. They walked it with me. When I am ready for my first 5k, they will be doing it with me, but this time we won't be walking. This time, I will be running every step of the way with them.

Now for the update on today's interval. I finished my mile in just under 15 minutes, so I did shave a little bit of time off of Tuesday's interval. I tried really hard to push myself on the running segments. I experienced my first side stitch, so that was fun. My blisters are pretty much gone, so that was not an issue. I am still having some pain in my shins, but I am sure that is due to the fact that I am carrying so much weight. Overall I feel like today's interval went pretty well, minus the side stitch because that sucked. I have been eating really well this week so I am hoping that I will be down a pound or two when I weigh on Saturday. Either way I am proud of myself!

Thanks for reading!
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment